RE: [engelang] Engelangs - A Design Goal Catalog

John Cowan:
> Rick Morneau scripsit:
>
> > As I understand it, an engilang is simply a language that is completely
> > regular in all aspects of its grammar, including semantics, syntax,
> > morphology, and pronunciation.
>
> Not necessarily.  Engelangs could incorporate irregularity if there
> something resembling an engineering justification for it.  In Old Loglan,
> for example, the process of forming compounds was irregular: one chose
> small chunks of the source words and formed them irregularly into a
> compound.  The justification, of course, was brevity.
>
> In the end it was discovered that regularity had an advantage that justified
> the lack of brevity: it prevented two different compound-creators from
> creating the same compound from different source words.

It has been argued (I can't remember whether it has been
psycholinguistically proved) that where regularly inflected forms
are phonologically discriminable from uninflected forms, there
is an advantage to having some frequent words have irregular
inflected forms that in form appear to be uninflected. An example
would be _bent_, which could be monomorphemic, in contrast to
*bended, which couldn't. The engineering rationale is that (supposedly)
forms whose phonological shape shows them to be inflected are
morphologically parsed before the word is looked up in the lexicon,
whereas forms whose phonological shape is such that they could
be monomorphemic are looked straight up in the lexicon. For
frequent words, bypassing the parsing stage saves time and effort.

I mention this not to endorse it, but to give an example of another
rationale for irregularity.

--And.