Re: [engelang] Xorban: la je cmla nltra

On Mon, Oct 15, 2012 at 2:39 PM, selpahi <seladwa@hidden.email> wrote:

I thought I'd try translating something into Xorban to see how far I would get and to find the current limits of Xorban. As the thread title hopefully reveals, this is from The Little Prince, chapter 1. At first I wanted to translate at least a few paragraphs, but I gave up after the first sentence, it's just too early I think. (I used experimental punctiation just to see what it would be like, capitalization and punctiation should of course be optional).

la je cmla nltra

Nxu'a la'a mslfa'a ji'a la nnca ska'aka, le je bnle pxre li je ckti mi je clca rcfa leki pseki vska'ake.

Original:
"Once when I was six years old I saw a magnificent picture in a book, called True Stories from Nature, about the primeval forest."

This is a tricky first sentence!  The noun phrase headed by "book" adds most of the complexity, so let's simplify that to just "book" and see what we get.

Hu'a. So pvo fo la'a mba'a ji'a la nnca ska'aka, le (je li ckti pseki) (je bnle) pxre vska'ake.
P.  Once (I) the myself, when I was a six year-laster, a (book-pertaining) (grand) picture I see.

That's not very complex so far.  In general, the more SOV-leaning a language, the greater the tendency of relative clauses and prepositional phrases to precede the modified term.  Xorban is pretty SOV-leaning, so (IMHO) most naturally, we want to put the book's prepositional phrase before the picture.  Note that I have parenthesized the modifiers of pxre.  In Xorban, adjectives, prepositional phrases and relative clauses are all basically the same thing except for their internal complexity.  They are just formulas preceded by "je".  Here's the stuff (I think) we left out as wff, followed by different options for integrating them:

mi je li clci psaki je jtna lsra = "(i) is called <nature-pertaining true stories>"
la je prmvla rcfla psika = "(i) is about the primeval forest"

1. The most straightforward approach is to just slap these in with "je":

Hu'a. So pvo fo la'a mba'a ji'a la nnca ska'aka, le je li (je mi je li clci psaki je jtna lsra) (je la je prmvla rcfla psika) ckti pseki je bnle pxre vska'ake.
P.  Once (I) the myself, when I was a six year-laster, a (called <nature-pertaining true stories>) (primeval forest pertaining) book-pertaining grand picture I see.

2. That does seem complex.  Maybe we want to try a non restrictive clause approach (via parentheticals).  We can accomplish that simply by just dropping the "je".

Hu'a. So pvo fo la'a mba'a ji'a la nnca ska'aka, le je li (mi je li clci psaki je jtna lsra) (la je prmvla rcfla psika) ckti pseki je bnle pxre vska'ake.
P.  Once (I) the myself, when I was a six year-laster, a -- it was called <nature-pertaining true stories> and was about primeval forest -- book-pertaining grand picture I see.

3. That's still heavy.  We might as well move the parentheticals past the main verb and let the implicit binding rule do its thing.

Hu'a. So pvo fo la'a mba'a ji'a la nnca ska'aka, le je li ckti pseki  je bnle pxre vska'ake; mi je li clci psaki je jtna lsra; la je prmvla rcfla psika.
P.  Once (I) the myself, when I was a six year-laster, a book-pertaining grand picture I see; it[book] was called <nature-pertaining true stories>; it was about the primeval forest.

4. I am a little iffy about implicitly binding "i", which is my preferred local throwaway variable, especially when the old binding is deeply nested.  Maybe we should move out "book" to the same level as the picture in the main clause, and give it a discourse topic variable.  That would give us:

Hu'a. So pvo fo la'a mba'a ji'a la nnca ska'aka, la'i ckta'i le je pseka'i je bnle pxre vska'ake; ma'i je li clci psaki je jtna lsra; la je prmvla rcfla psa'ika.
P.  Once (I) the myself, when I was a six year-laster, a certain book, the of-it grand picture I see; it[book] was called <nature-pertaining true stories>; it[book] was about the primeval forest.

That would be my final version (in this stage of my understanding).  Maybe we could also assign "e'i" to "pxr" to make that a little more salient.  You can keep reusing these variable in the story, rebinding them every so often.

As you can see it's complicated, but there are actually tons of options.  I think we just have to use the language's strengths to our advantage, ignore English's structure, and see what we can do.

Annotations:

nx- x1 is the first sentence of paragraph x2 (I'm a big fan of this word, please like it!)
cjf- x1 is the current/this sentence

Since "nx" (I think) would nearly always be used as "nxu'a", I have to say that it seems a little wasteful to set aside a whole CC stem for this.  What I think we need is a word for "paragraph".  Then we can form the sentence "This very sentence begins a paragraph".  Then we assign a particle as a shortcut for that sentence, perhaps "wu'a".  I am not sure how Jorge and others feel about using interjections in this way, so I will add experimental "hu'a" to the list.  Does that work for your purposes?  I am trying to gather all words in use on this page:

http://loglang.wordpress.com/xorban/vocabulary/

... keeping in mind that anything can change at any time.

The variable "u'a" shall henceforth be defined as being bound by "la cjfa". The old meaning of u'a now seems much less useful than I originally thought, so I would like to change it. If the old meaning does have uses some day, another variable can be assigned to it. I'll be using "u'a" for "la cjfa" from now on.

I have no problem with that.  I really don't think that we need more than five generic V at this point, and ten would be plenty for certain, so at least a few others can be assigned implicit restrictions.  (Maybe we should revive Jorge's idea of "e'u" from "prenu" to mean "le'u pre'u" i.e. "someone", which can be useful at times.)

mslf: I'd like to use a CC for this, my suggestion has been "mb-". The point of this is that sometimes one would like to explicitly say "Me", and la'a mslfa'a is quite long. However, since la'a mba'a is still quite long, what I'd like the most is a unary operator that stands for la'a mslfa'a/mba'a and is at most two syllables long: Ca'a. That would make it easier to use "I/me" in a topic-comment sort of way.

I agree that "la'a mslfa'a" (6 syl.) is a mouthful, so I have already added "mb" (a mere cluster) as a possible shortening of "mslf".  Keep in mind that "a'a" is fully grammaticized in Xorban, so you will never have to say "la'a mba'a" (4 syl.) except to add emphasis.  As far as topic-comment, we already have the versatile particle "co" which together with mb can keep things down to three syllables, which is as short as English:

co mba'a klma'a "As for me, I'm going".

I left out "once", because I'm not sure how to say it. Maybe
rf- x1 happens x2 times
would be a good way, maybe not. Probably there will be binary operators for the members of Lojban's ROI selma'o, but I don't know how it will work.

Most likely we'd want to quantify over events e.g. "so nmpo fo smo'e."  Some one thing was an event in which something was something = once, something happened.  It's hard to imagine how to shorten that at the moment, so hopefully that works for the present time.

Using ps- for pe is very annoying. There should be a different way. I'm not sure if leki pseki works.

That works fine.  It means "Some A & E pertaining to each other are such that ...".  Usually one would say something like "la je psa'ake mlte" meaning "my cat ...".

Questions:

1. Would anybody be opposed to allowing the buffer vowel to have some more allophones? I'm mainly thinking of [I] and [U].

2. Would it be possible to either give every digit a C-stem that follows the nm- or even better, give every digit its own CC root without any nm-? Right now, seven of them are CC, while three are C. Seems like an annoying randomness. I experimentally used pure CC stems in this text (sk- for six).

That's my fault, but it was not random.  I was thinking of this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford%27s_law  I would consider "nl, pv, dv" optional CC variants for 0, 1, 2.  The problem with C roots is that the low amount of redundancy given that we have no vowel differences among roots.

3. Is ' really irreversibly [?] now? It makes me a bit sad...

That's And's preference, but I think that <'> remains [h\] and that <q> is [?].  However, it would not harm anything to allow <q> to be written <"> I think, which might be a little easier on the eyes.

Closing Thoughts

Xorban is quite different from Lojban! It causes me a headache to construct such sentences, but I expect that to become easier eventually. Some things seem a bit too forethoughty, so some workarounds will probably be necessary to make the language more speakable. Too much thinking-ahead is currently required.
Xorban does feel more logical than Lojban, that is, it feels much more strict. You won't get away with sloppy thoughts as much as in Lojban, which is both boon and bane.
All that said, I think I'm starting to like Xorban, if it becomes more usable.

co q selpahi qa'a

Yes we have to make it simpler, but we still have to study it too.

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com