Re: [engelang] Xorban lexical design considerations

It's not clear to what extent the peculiar means of getting vocabulary is essential to Logjam, but it is certainly not enough to discredit an otherwise successful attempt at a loglang.
And, as noted before, too much reliance on Lojban gets in the way of thinking clearly about Xorban, as does too much reliance on the first approximations of what the phonology might be.

From: selpa'i <seladwa@hidden.email>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, October 14, 2012 12:59 PM
Subject: Re: [engelang] Xorban lexical design considerations

Am 14.10.2012 19:12, schrieb Jorge Llambías:
> On Sat, Oct 13, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Without hashing
>> out all the details, I'd like to hold a straw poll:
>>
>> [Yes] I would like the lexicon to generally break down schematically into
>> CC mnemonic clues (in other words, let's reorganize & overhaul the lexicon).
>>
>> [No] I would like the lexicon to be random/naturalistic like the current
>> gismu stems are (in other words, let's just remove the homonyms and add new
>> stems as needed, but otherwise import the gismu as they are and as we have
>> been using them).
>>
>> I am looking for your initial reaction and thoughts here, nothing else.
>
> Not necessarily random or naturalistic, but I wouldn't want for
> example all the names of animals to share the same CC, or all the
> names of colors to share the same CC, and so on. I think that ends up
> being more confusing than helpful.

Agreed. Also, I like the idea of Xorban being readable to some degree by
a lojbanist, so common roots are very helpful. It makes Xorban be a real
LoCCan3, one that can be counted as belonging to the same family as
Loglan and Lojban (and presumably Gua\spi).
I would keep most of the gismu stems, but remove the homonyms and then
add any new roots that are needed.

co q selpahi qa'a

--
pilno zo le xu .i lo dei bangu cu se cmene zo lojbo .e nai zo lejbo

doị mèlbi mlenì'u
.i do càtlu ki'u
ma fe la xàmpre ŭu
.i do tìnsa càrmi