Re: [engelang] reformulating the core grammar

From: And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, October 1, 2012 8:37 PM
Subject: Re: [engelang] reformulating the core grammar

"fa je X va Y" expresses both "fa je X ni Y" and "fa je X nu Y". In "la bcda fa je X va Y", bcd is predicated of that pair of propositions, specifying a relationship between them.

It's an important device for avoiding repetition, but it doesn't itself correspond to something in semantically-interpreted logical form.
As near as I can figure out, it stands for a vacuous repetition of X, which was thought to be needed somehow in reducing donkey sentences from sentences about farmers to sentences about classes of farmers (C-sets, apparently).  I never did see its point there, nor its use elsewhere, but then -- aside from agreeing that this particular reduction and most other plurative cases are on the right course -- I haven't understood a lot of what arose from the donkey problem.

John E. Clifford, On 01/10/2012 19:37: