Re: [engelang] Myopic singularization

Check out What the l again (updatd): we are running around with half a dozen vocabularies for the same thing in essence.

From: John Cowan <cowan@hidden.email>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2012 9:13 PM
Subject: Re: [engelang] Myopic singularization

Martin Bays scripsit:

> I meant to ask whether it is key that the individuals over which you MS
> have no overlaps (pairwise common parts).

Oh, I see. No, I don't think that matters.

> But couldn't, as John Clifford was I think suggesting, these things
> also be true of the corresponding masses/bunches? If I ask how many
> legs the mass of cats has, the answer might be large, but if ask how
> many legs it has *at the location of a particular cat*, wouldn't it
> make just as much sense to say that the answer to this is 4 as it
> would to say this for the MS?

Well, yes, but suppose the cat is sleeping wrapped around another cat?
Then the present locus of the Cat-mass would have 8 legs. The point
of MS is that it doesn't require you to go through a massification
stage, but directly reduces all cats to a single cat *without* making
a mereological sum first.

> I take it you would say the same of the MS of the union of all cats
> and all dogs?

If by "union" you mean set union, then no, because MSing a singleton
(a set or not) has no effect. If by "union" you mean mereological sum,
then no, for the same reason.

--
John Cowan cowan@hidden.email http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
Most languages are dramatically underdescribed, and at least one is