Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

Tense and Tense Logic, Janua Linguarum series minor 273 (I think, don't have it in front of me) Hague, Mouton, 1974 (memory again).

From: Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2012 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: [engelang] Xorban experimental tense markers

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 10:12 PM, John E Clifford <kali9putra@hidden.email> wrote:

Well, fits with neither logical nor natural language tense systems very well and mixes metrical and topological tenses.  The forms look like operators that take terms -- with the terms attached, so it gets confusing (but that is a nonce situation).  Logic has just Past and Future, generally (well, with Always Was and Always Will Be); natural languages tend to have a dual system (which always gets collapsed somewhere and parts of which get shuffled off to other systems) four axes: Present, Future, Past and Retrofuture, and three vectors, -, 0, and +.  Then there are aspect systems, related to your near past and near future in various ways.  It's all in my book.

They're unary operators that say "it [is] ___ the case that F" and only take formulas F as complements.  We can kill hikV'V if they're a problem, I just figured they'd ultimately be a shortcut for something else that'd we want.  That leaves hika, hiki, and hiku.  Presumably retrofuture would just be "hiki hiku" or maybe hikiku for short.  "Always was" and "always will be" are obviously "na hiki na" and "na hiku na", which can get short cuts, maybe "hika'i" and "hika'u".

As far as aspect, I'd rather not tackle the whole TAM hydra at once. I figure having tense and mood on the table at once is enough.  By the way, can you please give me some more information on your book?

--
co ma'a mke

Xorban blog: Xorban.wordpress.com
My LL blog: Loglang.wordpress.com