Re: [engelang] The future of languages.

And Rosta scripsit:

> Allow me to veer off the topic of engelangs for a sec & ask: (1)
> Can you point me to a source/reference for the plague theory (which
> is new to me, but sounds interesting) &

I'm basically following Nicholas Ostler's _Empires of the Word_ here,
which is a fascinating look at a number of widespread languages, with
reference to how they became so and how they lost their grip eventually.
The plague theory comes from p. 313 and is attributed to David Keys.
The bibliography says "Keys, David (1999), Catastrophe: an investigation
into the origins of the modern world.  London: Century."

The book is stuffed with thousands of items like this one.  My favorite
EotW fact:  Arabic has spread widely on the wings of Islam, but it
has become the vernacular speech only in countries that already spoke
Afroasiatic languages.

> (2) Is the Prussian genocide a genocide of Prussian-speaking Balts?

Prussian-speaking Balts, yes.  I should also have mentioned the modern
cases of population displacement and/or genocide by Germanics, namely the
U.S., Canada, Australia.  New Zealand is an intermediate case, perhaps
because there was only one non-Germanic language involved, somewhat as
on the U.S. Navajo Reservation (Navajo is now the most widely spoken
Native language in the U.S.)

--
John Cowan      http://www.ccil.org/~cowan      cowan@hidden.email
Be yourself.  Especially do not feign a working knowledge of RDF where