Re: [engelang] The future of languages.

John Cowan, On 21/09/2012 04:23:
John E. Clifford scripsit:

Sounds about right.  Languages tend to go with the sword or (when or
if there is a difference) the money.

Commerce and religion, mostly.  The sword actually doesn't work well:
most empire-builders don't care what languages the conquered speak.
Germanic-speakers have conquered a lot of territory, but very little
of it actually became Germanic-speaking, with the exceptions of England
(where there may have been a plague) and Prussia (genocide).

Allow me to veer off the topic of engelangs for a sec & ask: (1) Can you point me to a source/reference for the plague theory (which is new to me, but sounds interesting) & (2) Is the Prussian genocide a genocide of Prussian-speaking Balts?

--And.