Re: [engelang] lo, the vanishing wtf

And what exactly is wrong with saying  la mlta xkra? Your remark was much more complex than what I asked about (metaphysics will drive you mad). Its true, of course, except that I have my doubts about talking about events yet.
We haven't discussed times at all, and I hope we don't for a long time.  there are central language questions that need answering before we get into those kinds of things.
Nothing strange about pictures of green and white polkadotted cats, but the question was how would I say that I'd seen one.  Are you going to insist, for example, that the cat is imaginary? And, if so, how is this different from real but only possible?  These are questions that are the reason for building solid bases before pursing the more abstruse realms.

From: Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, September 16, 2012 8:49 PM
Subject: Re: [engelang] lo, the vanishing wtf

On Sun, Sep 16, 2012 at 9:33 PM, John E Clifford <kali9putra@hidden.email> wrote:

> I assume that the quantifier l in Xorban started as the quantifier version
> of lo, a word with a long and tumultuous history in both Loglan and Lojban.

Yes, they are essentially the same thing.

> So, how is it that cats are black, even though not all of them are and not
> just one is either? If we know the answer to that, maybe we can consider
> how I saw a picture of a green and white polkadotted cat.

Cats are sometimes black and sometimes not, that's all there is to it.
Just like you are sometimes sitting down and sometimes not.

I don't think we have discussed how to say "sometimes" in Xorban yet,
but I think it could be something like this:

la mlta je se sme fe xkra se sme fe na xkra
A/cats(A): [some E: E is state-of-affairs in which black(A)] & [some
E: E is state-of-affairs in which not black(A)]

Green and white polkadotted cats don't exist, but since it's easy to
draw pictures of things that don't exist, there's nothing strange
about seeing a picture of something that doesn't exist.

ma'a xrxe