Re: [engelang] discourse-scoped existental quantifier

Of course, the whole point of the move is that this sV has scope over the discourse, not just the sentence (which is the intention in Montague and more clearly in Kamp).  The sentence is the context out of which it leaps, hence both its power and its problems.  Without this transcendental approach, each new se pnde mdrktne may well be a new one, not the old guy come round again.  As for how to introduce it, the obvious answer in the present context is to use lV rather than sV.  (We pass over what this says about displaying the logical structure, etc.)

From: Jorge Llambías <jjllambias@hidden.email>
To: engelang@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Saturday, September 8, 2012 8:57 PM
Subject: Re: [engelang] discourse-scoped existental quantifier

On Sat, Sep 8, 2012 at 9:36 PM, And Rosta <and.rosta@hidden.email> wrote:

> As I wrote in the other thread:
>
> > There's a slightly different quantifier that I'd been meaning to
> > mention, but have kept on forgetting. It's an existential quantifer
> > with scope over the whole discourse:
> >
> > "Once upon a time, there was a poor woodcutter. He lived in a hut
> > with his dutiful daughter."
> >
> > In Livagian I treat it as a separate quantifier in its own right.
> > (Livagian doesn't have Xorban's lV.)
>
> How to do this in Xorban? Just "la [poor]a [woodcutter]a"? -- No, tthat's
> "The poor are woodcutters"? Maybe "sa
> [hereby-newly-introduced-into-discourse]a je [poor]a [woodcutter]a"?

There seem to be two issues here: how to introduce it, and how to
carry it over to other sentences. For the first part, I don't see any
problem with plain s-:

la je drna cdra se je pnde mdrktne cbneka
Distant era-A, some-E poor(E) & woodcutter(E): at(E,A)

Now as long as you keep everything within the same sentence, you can
keep using "e":

la je drna cdra se je pnde mdrktne je cbneka je li je dtfli txnike lo
gnmokeki lu cmlzdnu xbjoku
Distant era-A: some-E poor(E) & woodcutter(E): at(E,A) & (dutiful(I) &
daughter(I,E))-I: they(O,E,I)-O: hut-U: lived-in(O,U)

But this can get painful soon. We don't have a way to quantify over
multiple unconnected sentences. If you use the implicit binding rule
you could keep using "e" with "le je pnde mdrktne" restriction and
recover it in a new sentence:

la je drna cdra se je pnde mdrktne cbneka
Distant era-A, some-E poor(E) & woodcutter(E): at(E,A)

li je dtfli txnike lo gnmokeki lu cmlzdnu xbjoku
(dutiful(I) & daughter(I,E))-I: they(O,E,I)-O: hut-U: lived-in(O,U)

where the binding of each E in the second sentence is an implicit "le
je pnde mdrktne".

mu'o mi'e xorxes