Re: [engelang] Re: Hello? Anyone here? Q about engineering stability into a conlang

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 9:08 AM, MatthewDeanMartin
<matt@hidden.email> wrote:
> Dropping the ala X from the X ala X pattern in yes no questions doesn't affect readability at all.

I suspect it would affect listening comprehension.  In text, you've
usually got a question mark as a suprasegmental (?) marker over and
above any morphological or syntactic marker a particular Latin-script
language might use for questions.

> Again, the only pattern I see is that when items are marked multiple times, it doesn't hurt to drop the extra marks (double marked questions, double marked pronoun possessor phrases).  And back to the original question, these feature also seem like the least stable syntactic features, most likely to be lost over time.

Yes, thus my comment that design for short-term noise-resistance is
likely to make the language more variable over time, if it's lucky
enough to have a long lifetime (or any lifetime).  The converse may
not be true, however; if we design a language with low redundancy,
speakers will probably devise some ad-hoc redundancy features to add
noise resistance, and we can't predict in advance what those will be
or how subject to change over time they'll be.

This, however, I disagree with:

>>>I think that the reading gotchas and the effort-less to read mistakes are signs of mistakes or limitations in the conlang’s fundamental design– underspecification and overspecification respectively.

I don't think you can have it both ways.  If Toki Pona's syntactic
redundancies make it easier to recover from common mistakes, why is
that a bad thing?

Certainly there are many semantically ambiguous of the language that
can make valid sentences hard to interpret.  I'm not sure those are
design flaws, more a matter of design limitations.  The syntactic
ambiguities that make it hard to parse valid sentences are more
arguably design flaws.

When you say

>>things and things in the environment

how do you mean to distinguish them?  Is the first short for "unseen
things (= not in the local environment)" or for "things recently or
soon to be mentioned (= in the discourse environment, not necessarily
the physical environment)"?

--
Jim Henry
http://www.pobox.com/~jimhenry/