Re: [engelang] compression & redundancy

> (And Rosta <a.rosta@hidden.email>):
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I take it that compression &
> redundancy (in the signal) are inversely proportional -- the
> more of one, the less of the other.
>
> Outside of language, how do other technologies cope with
> the need to transmit information accurately over a low-
> bandwidth channel?

You just use carefully engineered minimal redundancy instead
of the ad-hoc kind.  Compressing a message first removes all the
natural redundancy and minimizes its entropy. Then, it is sent
over a channel with some precisely added tiny amount of
redundancy that's tuned to the actual performance of the
channel to guarantee accuracy without wasting bits.

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@hidden.email> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,