Re: [engelang] compression & redundancy

And Rosta scripsit:
> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I take it that compression &
> redundancy (in the signal) are inversely proportional -- the
> more of one, the less of the other.

Yes.

> Outside of language, how do other technologies cope with
> the need to transmit information accurately over a low-
> bandwidth channel?

Repeat, repeat, repeat.  Express oneself in a more longwinded fashion,
as in drum talk.  Employ experts at both ends.  Use digital encoding
when possible, as it can be "fixed" (all you have to be able to do
is tell dark from light, not various shades of gray -- phonemes serve
this purpose too).  Include checksums, as in the last digit
of an ISBN number, which is deducible from the other digits -- if it
isn't, the ISBN is bogus.

--
"We are lost, lost.  No name, no business, no Precious, nothing.  Only empty.
Only hungry: yes, we are hungry.  A few little fishes, nassty bony little