Re: [engelang] Self-segmenting words & the treatment of names

In a message dated 10/4/2002 4:32:06 PM Central Daylight Time, lee@hidden.email writes:

<<
When JCB started in the 50s it [self-segmenting]
was a big deal, but today my watch is a more powerful computer than
he ever used.

Ouch.  Maybe in the 50's, but JCB was using computers up until he died, so he probably caught up with your watch (which sound pretty terrific -- unless you are factoring in time and size when you say powerful).

<<
It seems to me that if present state-of-the art speech
recognition software can perform word breaking about as well as a
human using a reasonable amount of resources, then making that part
of a language design is a waste of time.

But even 2% error (and I have yet to see a program that lived up to that claim in normal running speech) can make for 100% errors when fed into a complete but rather stupid parser (viz. ours).  And it is that damned parser that is Lojban's chief claim to be of interest to anyone  -- despite people's ongoing efforts to subvert it.