Re: [engelang] Re: Engelangs - A Design Goal Catalog

In a message dated 6/3/2002 4:04:36 PM Central Daylight Time, a-rosta@hidden.email writes:

And brevity was not in fact a significant goal, except as manifest
in the gospel of zipfeanism (a somewhat confused notion specific
to Lojban culture, but based on the idea that word length should
be inversely proportional to word frequency).

Well not a stated one at least, but always in operation at, perhaps, an esthetic level, i.e., zipfeanism (all technical terms used in Loglan/Lojban quickly become idiosyncratic and somewhat -- or enormously -- confused.  Zipfy is better than most, since Zipf's Law is actually a well-confirmed statistical generalization about natural languages that is justified by several other disciplines as well -- conmmunication theory, neurophychology, etc. -- and so constitutes something close enough to a universal that loglangs would be ill-advised to screw with it too egregiously).

pkrosen:
<Having been priviledged to see the gradual unfolding of Livagian over
the past few years, there is a definite artlang aesthetic involved,
and I have to feel that rather than beeing opposite ends of a
continuum, artlang and engelang might better be thought of as x and y
coordinates, where some languages have a higher value for one
parameter than the other, while some are more balance. There is
probably a z-axis as well, but I can't think of what it should be off
the top of my head.>

Practical-theoretical (or community - machine) springs to mind, given the beautifully engineered languages in history that were all unspeakable but would work nicely on a machine (MTIL lovers might want to look back at Thomas Urqhart and the like -- Oh, but I did that already!)

<(Quechua has been described as a rather engelangy natlang).>

I've seen the claim made for neighboring Aymara (and by gods=spacemen, yet), who says it of Quechua?