Re: [engelang] RE: [lojban] Re: Binary Language

> One way of implementing Thinkit's binarity is to treat the predicate
> as a state of affairs and then have binary relations between this
> state of affairs and each participant. Go GIVE would be:
>
> X1 = a giving
> X2 is giver of X1
> X3 is recipient of X1
> X4 is gift of X1
>
> The downside of this is that you need a much larger vocabulary -- one
> word per argument-relation ('giver', 'recipient', 'gift') rather than
> one word per underlying predicate ('give').

One thing I've often wondered about many conlangs: why is this (a
large vocabulary) considered a downside at all?  Haven't decades of
cognitive science and actual experiments with vocabulary-limited
languages, all of which have been miserable failures, proven beyond
any doubt that human brains are hard-wired to easily handle huge
vocabularies?  The experiments are really quite simple: sit voluteers
in front of screens, throw pieces of language at them, and measure
their response times.  The results are always the same: big
vocabulary--no sweat; complicated grammar--um, what was that again?

--
Lee Daniel Crocker <lee@hidden.email> <http://www.piclab.com/lee/>
"All inventions or works of authorship original to me, herein and past,