Re: [engelang] Re: Fwd: preliminary remarks on Toaq Dzu

pkroser57@hidden.email [engelang] scripsit:

>  My best guess is that an optimal vowel system would be between 5 and
>  8 vowels, with 5 = {i, e, a, o, u} and 8 = {i, y, e, ø, ɯ, u, a, o}, while the
>  optimal phoneme inventory will probably be between 25 and 50 consonants.

Front rounded vowels are rare in the world's languages.  See
<http://wals.info/chapter/11>.  Back unrounded vowels are even rarer.
Check out other stuff at WALS.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@hidden.email
He that would foil me must use such weapons as I do, for I have not