Re: The future of languages.

--- In engelang@yahoogroups.com, Risto Kupsala <risto@...> wrote:

> It depends on the source languages and what contrasts they feature.
> Pandunia sources something like top 40 languages of the world by number
> of speakers. In that group voicing contrast is definitely the most
> frequent one of the contrasts that you listed. Pandunia contrasts voiced
> unaspirated stops with voiceless aspirated stops in order to satisfy the
> two most important contrasts.

But, even in the Indo-European world, it's not always very easy to make this distinction. Hispanohablantes can't easily distinguish /v/ from /f/ (or /b/), /z/ from /s/, /Z/ from /S/...

And, when you say  "voiceless aspirated", do you mean "voiceless OR aspirated" or necessarily "voiceless AND aspirated"? I'm not aware of aspirated consonants in Romance languages*, for instance.

* except /h/ itself.

> the stressed syllable would always bear the high tone. Technically
> Pandunia has that: the first syllable is stressed, which means that it
> is both louder and it has higher pitch than the rest of the syllables.

Again, is "both" necessary or people could choose?

> I speak natively Finnish, which is a Uralic (Finno-Ugric) language.
> Finnish doesn't have the voicing contrast, and it differs from the
> Indo-European languages in many other ways, too, though it is their
> neighbour.
> (The next is the same in Finnish for a taste of the language)
> Minun �idinkieli on suomi, joka on uralilainen (suomalaisugrilainen)
> kieli. Suomessa ei ole soinnillisuusvaihtelua, ja se eroaa monella
> muullakin tavalla indoeurooppalaisista kielist�, vaikka se onkin niiden
> naapurissa.

Does "kieli" mean "language"? Is it pronounced /ki'eli/?
This word fits my conlang perfectly.

I abandoned my conlang projects so many times,
but I naturally resume them when I see natlangs'
words and features that fit in them.