Re: [engelang] Xorban compounding revisited

Mike S. scripsit:

> I have gradually come to see the light on this idea.  As long as there is a
> dictionary editor keeping track of coinages and guaranteeing uniqueness,
> then the mnemonicity of the component stems will surely be sufficient for
> the needs of speakers, and the added machinery needed for unique
> compositionality of form is rather pointless.

That was tried in pre-1983 Loglan, but it didn't work, precisely because
it was impossible to keep the community unified enough.  It would be
easier now on the Internet, but unless people are writing with one eye on
the dictionary all the time, colliding coinages will appear.  Livagian,
as an artlang, doesn't have this problem, because only And gets to make
up words in practice.

With 2-3 letter words, I really don't think you need any more collapsing.
In Gua\spi, where predicate words are about the same size as in Xorban,
lujvo are made by concatenation, and true tanru require a particle.
(The Gua\spi tone system allows the representation of three different
jvajvo relationships by tone alone, an advantage Xorban doesn't have.)

--
"Repeat this until 'update-mounts -v' shows no updates.         John Cowan
You may well have to log in to particular machines, hunt down   cowan@hidden.email