Re: [engelang] The future of languages.

Leonardo Castro scripsit:

> This reminds me that I recently tried to figure out
> which 10 languages should I know if I want to
> maximize the probability of successful communication
> with my first neighbour if I am sent to a random point

I assume you mean "random point on land".

> on the globe. Let me write them down for the first time:

Wikipedia says, with lots of appropriate caveats:

1. Mandarin Chinese (1.12 billion)
2. English (480 million)
3. Arabic (441 million)
4. Spanish (320 million)
5. Russian (285 million)
6. French (270 million)
7. Hindi/Urdu (250 million)
8. Portuguese (248 million)
9. Bengali (185 million)
10. Japanese (133 million)

This includes second-language speakers, but the definition of that term
may be quite loose.

However, this table takes no account of the global reach of languages.
With a probability of 1/15, you will land in China, where the chances of
having a first- or second-language speaker of Mandarin are excellent.
In the rest of the world, they are rather poor.  I don't know what to
do to take this into account.

--
Ambassador Trentino: I've said enough. I'm a man of few words.
Rufus T. Firefly: I'm a man of one word: scram!