Re: [engelang] Some Engelang list admin changes

John Cowan, On 03/09/2012 00:00:
And Rosta scripsit:

1. I've made the archives public, not restricted to members. (I hadn't
known they weren't public.)

+1.  Public archives contribute to the public stock of harmless pleasure.

2. I've changes the settings so that anybody can join, without getting
approved by me. I'd originally made owner-approval of members a
requirement to combat spam, so I'm relying on whatever captcha and
antispam measures Yahoo operates. If we start to get spam again,
I'll change this setting back again.

-1.  Y!G spam-catching is terrible, so much so that I've migrated all my
Y!G lists to Google Groups.  Over there, I set them to allow anyone to
sign up, but all messages are moderated -- then when a non-spam message
comes through I change the author's settings to "don't moderate further
messages from the same address."  This is very easy in GG, zero extra
clicks; I don't know how easy it is in Y!G.

That's a good system. How about we see how things go as they are, and if we get some spam nobody shoot me and either I do the migration to Google Groups or I add as listowner somebody less busy or less lazy or less of a slow learner than me to do the job?

I haven't had much Yahoogroups spam in recent years, which I'd assumed without further evidence must be due to some sort of uncrap captcha system.

--And.