Re: [engelang] Re: Engelang phonology chat

On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 9:30 AM, Leonardo <leolucas1980@hidden.email> wrote:

--- In engelang@yahoogroups.com, "Mike S." <maikxlx@...> wrote:
> /a E i O u e o/ - similar to Italian. Sounds nice, but too hard for too
> many people IMHO.

Very easy for Portuguese speakers, but very hard for Spanish speakers. I know Spanish speakers who can't figure out the difference between /O/ and /o/ or /E/ and /e/ in spite of being in Brazil for many years.

PS: "/O/ and /o/ or /E/ and /e/" is another case of common ambiguity.

You should have used Xorban!

{la ja li "/O/"i lu "/o/"u frcikuka li "/E/"i lu "/e/"u frcikuka}
"the difference between /O/ and /o/ or the difference between /E/ and /e/"

If we could bind two variables in one operation then we could say this:

{la liku ja je "/O/"i lu "/o/"u je "/E/"i lu "/e/"u frcikuka}
"the difference between (/O/ and /o/) or (/E/ and /e/)"

That seems like something that could be very useful.  I predict that something like it will find its way into the language.