Re: [engelang] Xorban Development

On Fri, Aug 24, 2012 at 8:41 PM, Mike S. <maikxlx@gmail.com> wrote:

> (sa xrma (lu bjrafu vska'aku)) (xkra)
>
> That can be reasonably be translated as "(Some horse, (I see it running).)
> (It's black.)"
[...]
> In the second sentence "xkra", "a" is free.  The rule given by Xorxe is
> that if an explicit unbound variable appears that was bound in a previous
> sentence, then it is implicitly bound again using the same recent
> restriction but with "l-".  So "xkra" can be expanded as:
>
> [la xrma] xkra
>
> I was tempted to imagine that "a" here is a definite reference to the
> horse seen running in the first sentence, and while that interpretation is
> left open by the rules, others are not closed.  It could mean also "They
> [horses] (in general) are black".  "a" doesn't necessarily mean "the horse
> that I saw running", because that's not part of the previous restriction.

Very well explained, thank you!

> ==================================
>
> What would be the problem with variable "a", appearing free in Qa, that
> was previously bound in a sentence "Sa Ra Pa" being implicitly bound by
>
> [la je Ra Pa]
>
> Then (xkra) would mean
>
> [la je xrma (lu bjrafu vska'aku)] xkra
> "It [horse(s) that I see running] is black"

One problem I have with that is for example:

  (na (sa xrma (lu bjrafu vska'aku))) (xkra)

"I don't see any horse running. It [horse(s) that I see running] is black" ???

while:

"I don't see any horse running. They(=horses) are black." is fine.

[...]

> The final result:
>
> sa xrma re prne lu bjrafu vskeku
> "Some horse, everyone sees it running."
>
> nlceku
> = [le RPe] [lu RPu] nlceku
> = [le je prne sa xrma lu bjrafu vskeku] [lu je sa xrma bjrafu re prne
> vskeku] nlceku
> "They [person that sees some horse running] like it [event of some horse
> running that everyone sees].

While that interpretation is possible, and maybe even likely, I don't
think it's mandatory.

I still think the rule should be that the second sentence is "le prne
lu bjrafu vskeku", which is in turn "le prne la xrma lu bjrafu
vskeku", so the more general "people like seeing horses run" should
also be a valid interpretation.

mu'o mi'e xorxes