Re: [engelang] Re: Self-segmenting words & the treatment of names

John Cowan, On 15/05/2006 22:30:
And Rosta scripsit:

As I said in one of my messages yesterday, fixed arity means no

I think that is true only if:

a)	you can distinguish operators and operands lexically
b)	you suffix each operand with the bracket, treating it as
		a zero-arity operator

Fixed arity with polish notation, I meant. If you understood that, then I don't understand what you're saying...

Ah, good thinking. Yes: "husband/boyfriend" etc.

But does anyone pronounce this "husband boyfriend"?  I think it's just a
way of writing "husband or boyfriend", and I'd automatically pronounce
it that way.

Or "husband slash boyfriend" or "husband stroke boyfriend"...

"And/or", however, meaning "and or or", is in fact an example of this pattern.

And "AC/DC". Maybe others too.

--And.