Re: Self-segmenting words & the treatment of names

--- In engelang@yahoogroups.com, "Jorge Llambías" <jjllambias@...> wrote:

> On 5/13/06, Martín Baldán <martinob@...> wrote:
> >
> > In fact, I couldn't come up with anything better, so I've implemented
> > your suggestion, and the result is as follows:
>
> You could save a few more leading particles by using the inserted
> consonant to indicate the number of syllables too. You'd need
> fewer reserved words but it would break the symmetry a bit..
>
> Jorge

Thanks again! I knew I was missing something. You are a fountain of
cool ideas ;)

I give great importance to symmetry, for the sake of mnemonics, but in
this case I didn't have to break any symmetry that was not already
broken. Judge for yourself:

FOREIGN NAMES:

NOTES:
1) count syllables in the name as pronounce in isolation, without the
leading and/or trailing letters added.

2) If the name begins in vowel, a consonant must be added at the
beginning.
This consonant indicates whether the name ends in a vowel or in a
consonant, and the number of syllables.

 In my language, the alphabeth is ordered in a different way than
usual. The order chosen responds to phonotactical concerns. First come
the vowels (not shown here), then the consonants (of which there are
18, in the order shown). They are grouped in pairs, just like in the
convenion used for building compound words, so the additional memonic
load is not so big.

l: ends in a vowel, 1 syllable
n: ends in a consonant, 1 syllable

r: ends in a vowel, 2 syllables
s: ends in a consonant, 2 syllables

x: ends in a vowel, 3 syllables
v: ends in a , consonant 3 syllables

d: ends in a vowel, 4 syllables
v:ends in a consonant, 4 syllables

f: ends in a vowel, 5 syllable
c:ends in a consonant, 5 syllables

g: ends in a vowel, 6 syllables
m:ends in a consonant, 6 syllables

h: ends in a vowel, 7 syllables
y:ends in a consonant, 7 syllables

z: ends in a vowel, 8 syllables
k:ends in a consonant, 8 syllables

p: ends in a vowel, 9 syllables
t:ends in a consonant, 9 syllables

3) If it ends in consonant, a vowel (usually "U", because it's the
consonant cluster breaker) may or may not be added (only if necessary).

4) When a keyword is used, it must be monosyllabic (unless indicated
otherwise by the particle "Suei", before liai, liei,..etc).

foreign name indicators:

1)If it begins in a vowel :

cons1: l, r, x, d, f, g, h, z, p
cons2: n, s, v, c, g, m, y, k, t

la+cons1+name:begins and ends in vowel. Discard initial consonant
la+cons2+name(+U):begins in vowel, ends in consonant. Discard initial
consonant and final vowel if present.

example:
Ann:lanan OR lananu (when followed by -n or other consonant that makes
it convenient to add a vowel)

2) If it begins in a consonant:

2.1) One-syllable foreign names:

le+name:begins in consonant, ends in vowel.

lo+name(+U): begins and ends in consonant. Dicard final "U" if present

example:
Jack: loyak(u)

2.2) two-syllable foreign names:

lie+name: "

lio+name+(U): "

example:
Richard: lior'itxard(u)

2.3) three-syllable foreign names:

lue+name: "

luo+name+(U): "

example:
Ricardo: luerik'ardo

2.4) four-syllable foreign names:

lei+name: "

loi+name+(U): "

example: kalimero: leikalim'ero

up to 9 syllables:

leu+number+name: "

lou+number+name+(U): "

example:
Zapatero ("rua" = 4): leuruacapat'ero

any number of syllables (up to a few hundred):

li+keyword+H+name+keyword:     analogous
li+keyword+N+name+keyword:     analogous

liu+keyword+name+keyword:  "
lui+keyword+name(+U)+keyword:         "

example:
Donatella : liukadonat'elaka