RE: [engelang] Self-segmenting words & the treatment of names

Bfowol:
> > > What's a good way to handle names in a self-segmenting
> > > engelang that constitutes an optimal balance between (a) preserving
> > > self-segmentation, (b) distorting the original name as little as
> > > possible, and (c) concision.
> >
> > Bracketing will rate you an A+ for both (a) and (b), and something less
> > for (c).  For example, in Katanda, the proper name "Joe Q. Schmoe" can
> > be rendered as "Ka<Joe Q. Schmoe>byo", where prefix "ka" indicates a
> > proper name, the left and right arrows are the brackets, and "byo"
> > indicates that the word is the name of a person (as opposed to country,
> > river, corporation, etc).
> >
> > For speech applications, you'll need some way of representing the
> > brackets.  However, even so, the speech-analyzer is likely to have
> > problems with whatever appears between the brackets since it won't
> > conform with the self-segregation rules.
>
> I think that in speech a pair of verbal brackets such that the first would
> indicate "the following phonetic string is a (foreign/borrowed) name",
> and the ending bracket would indicate whether the name is a Proper/
> personal name, a corporation or other legal entity, collective, etc.,
> would be sufficient.

But the downsides are (i) you're adding two syllables to every name, and
even though the end-bracket is informative on first use in the discourse
it ceases to be so, and (ii) you need a fall-back plan for if any of
the end-bracket markers occur internally within the name. (Cf. the
Lojban "no /la/ in names" rule, which causes no end of trouble.)

--And.