Re: [engelang] Engelangs - A Design Goal Catalog

In a message dated 6/2/2002 12:20:39 PM Central Daylight Time, ram@hidden.email writes:

Sapir said that all grammars leak.  He was referring, of course, to
natural languages.  In my mind, an "engilang" is simply a language whose
grammar doesn't leak.

But many have serious embolisms, particularly if intended for speech communities derived from native speakers of other languages.

<However, a sentence that is unambiguous can still be vague.  For
example, if I say "I own a boat", I am NOT being ambiguous, but I AM
being vague because I'm not saying which boat I own.  If I say "Every
man owns a boat", I am NOT being ambiguous but I AM being vague because
I'm not specifying which boat is owned by each man.>

This is very odd. Vagueness is very context sensitive -- it is vague if it is less precise than the context (speaker -hearer cooperation) calls for.  Out of the blue -- and in most contexts -- neither of these sentences is vague, though it is easy to imagine one in which the first -- and with more difficulty, the second -- would be vague ("Do you own the cigarette that ran the Garda last night?", say, for the first.) The second sentence is also notoriously ambiguous in English, although I think it rarely fools anyone.  To call a sentence vague (or-- markedly worse -- to say that the speaker is being vague by using the sentence) because there is a context (though it is not this one) in which it is vague seems to lead to an impossible standard for language -- one which you almost reject later {"Of course, periphrasis can always be used to reduce or eliminate vagueness, but this should not be a requirement of the grammar.  Any
language that claims to completely lack vagueness will be so verbose and
complex that it will be useless (assuming it's even possible to create
such a monster)."), failing only by allowing that elimination of all vagueness is a possibility.  It is not, even in simple cases like linear measurements (what's precise in nanometres is vague in picometres).